WTFsutter VIDEOBLOG

Sunday, February 17, 2008

PUNISHER:WARZONE:SCRIBE AMENDS *

So, I have this little SutterInk blog. I have a thought, a gripe, a gratitude, I jot it down, let it go. I get maybe 15-25 hits a week. Mostly my Shield guys and a few Facebook friends who read it. I joke about my seven readers, but that's the ballpark I've been playing in. Last week, when I updated my friends about the Punisher project, I got 3500 hits in less than six hours. If I'm doing the math right, that's almost five years worth of readers between lunch and dinner. I forgot how big the marvel fanbase is. They live on the internet. I should have remembered. When Thomas Jane distanced himself from the project using my draft as the reason, my name was on hundreds of blogs. I was suddenly covered with the stink of past Punisher movies. As the Punisher 2 project moved forward, I was the writer probably most associated with the script. So when I read the shooting script and realized that not only wasn't I going to get credit, but it was a script I didn't want to be associated with, I took a proactive step. I pulled my name from the arbitration process. I emailed the producers, thanked them for the opportunity and let them know I was not seeking credit. I should have stopped there. On my blog, I listed the reasons why I didn't want credit. In my opinion, this script is dry and formulaic. It's a traditional comic book movie. Which I added, is not a bad thing, it's just not the kind of movie I would write. I know the producers went back to the script before my rewrite, which was Nick Santora's draft, and passed that on to the next team of writers. My comments made the presumption that the final draft was the work of the two guys that came after Nick and I -- Marcum and Holloway. In my entry, I said "the story was simple and the dialog was very obvious". That's the truth. Now if someone said that about my writing, I'd probably stab them in the throat. So when I heard from inside sources that Matt and Art did not have the final pass on the script, I realized that I owed these guys an apology. Although I know that scripts have many writers that come in at the end, the presumption in my blog was that Matt and Art were responsible for what I read. Apparently the writer responsible for the less than organic dialog has not been submitted for arbitration. So I apologize to Matt and Art for the presumed disrespect. I've got no problem rattling a cage with the truth, but I don't want to ever be accused of maligning someone with lies and half-facts. * I should also say that Nick's draft was a rewrite of an earlier script. Don't know who the original writer was. So the script I rewrote wasn't necessarily all Nick's. I know this, but I realized that most of my readers did not. I just want this movie to come out, do well... and go away. We've all been punished enough.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't presume that they are the only ones. I wander here whenever I find the time for myself. You have a decent blog and as far as I am concerned, are very good at what you do.

It's a rather classy thing you did, by writing this. Most would just let it go.

For what it's worth, I wish you all the best on your Pilot.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for Punisher: Warzone as a fan and wish we could see everyone's vision and I'm sure yours would have been awesome if given some creative freedom and more time than 30 days. Still...bring on Condemned & Awaken the Dragon. You gotta cast Jason Scott Lee in that film but not as the lead. He needs a supporting role if possible.

-Advanced Dark

Anonymous said...

Sir, I commend you on your honesty. Too many people get up in arms over the most simple and intentionally harmless statements. Or statements that are made in general frustration that are made to seem like a very specific pointed hurtful comment.

Don't let them get you down. And keep doing well what you do well!

Kudos and all the best!!!

Anonymous said...

During the strike I came to this blog bi-weekly. No other place layed it out like here. Let the comic fans act as they will. As one myself I see no reason to complain. I knew very little of your draft made it anyway.
-Anonymous Henchman

Unknown said...

I loved the first punisher! I don't get why most people hated it (besides the stupid side story of rebecca romijn stamos and the two dudes). When I kept hearing news bits for the punisher: war zone I kept getting a more sinking feeling that this movie will suck. So here is pretty much the proof.